Penguins are fascinating creatures, and they make a great winter theme for the classroom. Do your bulletin boards up in black and white with perhaps some ice blue. Add penguin cut outs, surround them with paper snowflakes or pompon snowballs, and you’ll have an exciting room for the kids to come back to after winter break.
Trend’s Playful Penguin Bulletin Board set includes plenty of cheerful penguins and some ice floes.
DLTK has a simple craft project where kids make penguins with New Year’s resolutions on their tummies and make a bulletin board from them.
Bulletin board sayings for penguin bulletin boards:
- School’s cool
- Our class is cool
- Cool work
- Slide into a book
- Slide into a great year
- Slip sliding into the New Year
- Let it snow
- Out class is snow much fun
- ‘Snow business like show business
- Winter wonderland
- Penguins on parade
- Penguin pals
- Playful penguins
- Perky penguins
Once you’ve got your classroom decorated, you might want to study penguins. Here are some quick printables:
- Enchanted Learning has a labeling page for Emperor Penguins.
- Scholastic has a fun project for studying penguin locomotion.
- An easy reader worksheet examines growth in penguins.
- PrintActivities has lots of worksheets to print out, once you scroll through the ads.
Here are resource sites:
- The New Zealand penguin page has online games, coloring pages, and lots of information.
- The Sea World site has sections on a number of interesting topics, including adaptation and longevity.
- LiveScience has photos, videos, and news stories on penguins, and Antarctica.
- Discovery Kids has a reading passage on penguins that’s great for skimming practice.
- Zwolle elementary school has a whole bunch of penguin links, if you’re in the mood to browse.
Don’t forget penguin books:
- 365 Penguins by Jean-Luc Fromental
- National Geographic Readers: Penguins!
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard Atwater is a classic.
- Penguin Pete by Marcus Pfister has soft illustrations.
- Tacky the Penguin is the story of a penguin who doesn’t fit in, and who is valuable nonetheless.
- Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper answers the age-old question, what if Cinderella were a penguin?
Get your whole-body activity in, too, with Miss Amy’s Penguin Dance: