November is Native American Heritage Month, but a study of this part of our national heritage is always appropriate.
Here are some collections of lesson plans on Native Americans:
- TeAchnology‘s collection includes worksheets.
- Edsitement has history lesson plans at a number of time depths.
- Teaching with Historic Places includes reading passages.
- The Library of Congress has a couple of middle school lesson plans, but stay and explore the other resources, too.
- Artsedge has lesson plans and multimedia resources.
Our favorite classroom resource books on the subject:
- History Pockets: Native Americans, Grades 1-3 has reproducibles and projects helping students to produce snazzy books that show what they’ve learned and focus their learning.
- Native American Arts & Cultures from TCR uses art projects to teach history and culture.
- Native Americans Thematic Unit from Teacher Created uses literature and hands-0n activities.
- Walch’s Native Americans: An Interdisciplinary Unit on Converging Cultures is a thorough study for middle school.
Our lesson plans:
- Pilgrims, Pioneers, and Native Americans
- Try an art lesson inspired by Osage Ribbon Work
- Read about Squanto
- Read Native American folktales in Possum Lesson Plans
- Make a parfleche from paper.
- Read Native American Cinderella stories.
- Native American Games
- Trade Simulation Game
- Cherokee Water Drums Lesson Plan
- FreshPlans Visits a Cherokee Village