Many schools now require a certain number of minutes of physical activity. If you’re walking or jogging inside the school, you could be taking a virtual trip.
You’ll need a pedometer or a marked course so you can measure how far you travel. You’ll also need Google Earth on your classroom computer.
The video above outlines the idea, and here is a step by step plan:
- Put a placemark on your school — the video below will show you how easy it is.
- Take your walk or jog and measure the distance.
- If you’re using one pedometer, multiply the total by the number of people participating. If you have a class set, use the sum of all the measurements.
- Find a place that number of miles away, and add a placemark there.
- Use the description box to add information about the places you visit, including photos or data your students find through research. Save all the placemarks in a folder.
- At the end of the term, you can make a Google Earth Tour with the placemarks.