There are some real advantages for using a sports theme. It can be energizing, it gives you a natural lead-in for lessons on health and character, it brings up natural science, lit, and social studies connections, and it’s easy to decorate for.
Here are some of the ready-made classroom decoratives we like for a sports theme:
- All Star Learners focuses on baseball.
- Sports ball cutouts are versatile for decorations.
- Touch Down is a football-themed set.
- Eureka has a baseball theme set.
- “Teamwork Makes the Dream Work” is the centerpiece of a banner set.
- One more team-centered set is “Together Everyone Achieves More.”
- Fadeless Designs Bulletin Board Paper, Team Sports, 48″ x 50 ft. because it’s so hard to find a good sports background sometimes, and because you can do all kinds of math things with it.
There are also loads of sports posters everywhere — we’re not even going to give you links, because you probably have one in your closet, garage, or kid’s room right now.
Bulletin board slogans or sayings for a sports theme:
- We’re having a field day!
- Go for the Gold
- We’re a great team!
- Welcome to Our Team!
- All Stars
- We are the champions!
Bring in sports gear, old team jerseys, and any sports memorabilia you can scrounge up for 3-D additions.
Here are some clever sports-theme ideas for decorating, communicating with parents, rewarding kids, and generally setting the stage:
- Printable instructions for making sports-theme placemats.
- Downloadable pattern for “Let’s Kick Off a Great Year!” bulletin board
- 25 sports-themed crafts to get your students involved.
- PDF Book Report form for sports-themed books
- A large selection of sports printables from Enchanted Learning, including multilingual pages.
- Sports coloring pages at Twisty Noodle.
Sports books for your classroom library:
- Teaching Cues for Sport Skills
- Fun and Games: 100 Sport-Related Activities
- Playing Fair, Having Fun: A Kid’s Guide to Sports and Games
Fun stuff for your classroom:
These ideas will give you a running start!